Review: Sticklebarn and The Langdales Bunkhouse – A Rustic Gem in the Heart of the Lakes
When you consider the sheer rugged beauty of the Lake District, few places capture its essence quite like the Langdale Pikes. And, nestled at its foot is the Sticklebarn and The Langdales Bunkhouse, providing travellers with an immersive experience that perfectly balances comfort with raw natural appeal.
Address: Sticklebarn and The Langdales Bunkhouse, Great Langdale, Ambleside, Lake District, UK.
A Blend of History and Modernity
Housed in a building that carries with it the weight and charm of history, Sticklebarn itself is an attraction. Yet, despite its historic exterior, inside you’ll find facilities catered to the needs of the 21st-century traveller. It’s this balance of old and new that truly makes the experience special.
Key Features and Services
- Accommodation: The bunkhouse boasts a variety of rooms catering to both solo travellers and groups. The furnishings, while simple, have been chosen with care to provide guests with a cosy night’s sleep after a day of adventures.
- Sticklebarn Tavern: One of the few National Trust-run pubs, it serves ethically sourced food and beverages. Their commitment to sustainability means that every pint or plate you purchase contributes directly to the care of the surrounding landscapes.
- Adventure at Your Doorstep: Perfectly positioned, guests can easily access some of the most iconic treks and climbs, such as the Harrison Stickle or Pavey Ark.
- Eco-Focused: Apart from the sustainable tavern, the entire bunkhouse operates on principles that minimise carbon footprint, from water-saving fixtures to energy-efficient lighting.
- Communal Spaces: Shared kitchen and lounge spaces encourage interaction. Travellers share tales, cook together, and often plan treks collectively, fostering a unique sense of community.
- Activities and Events: Regularly hosting events, workshops, and outdoor activities, there’s always something happening at Sticklebarn, ensuring that no two visits are the same.
Langdales: The Trekker’s Paradise
The allure of the Langdale Pikes cannot be understated. A dramatic skyline of jagged peaks and ridges, it beckons hikers, climbers, and nature enthusiasts. Whether you’re attempting a challenging summit or looking for a serene valley walk, the surroundings offer something for everyone. The views, panoramas of the wider Lake District fells, are truly a reward for the senses.
More than Just a Stay: An Experience
It’s rare to find a place where the essence of the region is so deeply embedded in its experience. At Sticklebarn and The Langdales Bunkhouse, it’s not just about a bed for the night; it’s about feeling the pulse of the Lake District. From the food and drink sourced from local providers to the emphasis on sustainable living, guests are constantly reminded of the delicate and beautiful ecosystem they’re a part of.
Conclusion: A Must-Visit in the Lake District
Sticklebarn and The Langdales Bunkhouse isn’t a mere accommodation; it’s an institution in itself. It exemplifies what the Lake District stands for – natural beauty, sustainability, and a deep-rooted respect for the environment.
Whether you’re a seasoned hiker looking for a base to conquer the fells, a family aiming for a rejuvenating weekend getaway, or a solo traveller seeking solace and community, this place is a perfect fit.
There’s a certain magic to the Lake District, a combination of its scenic beauty and the tales of centuries gone by. This bunkhouse, with its rustic charm, eco-centric operations, and commitment to serving guests, captures that magic wonderfully.
In an era where travel often leans towards the commercial and the luxurious, places like Sticklebarn and The Langdales Bunkhouse remind us of the simple joys – the joy of a warm meal after a long trek, the joy of sharing stories with strangers who become friends, and the joy of waking up to the sight of mist-covered peaks. It’s an experience that remains with you, long after you’ve left its premises, urging you to return and relive the magic.