Derwentwater Independent Hostel: A Lake District Gem
Nestled within the scenic Lake District, Derwentwater Independent Hostel isn’t just a place to lay one’s head; it’s an experience unto itself. Located in the heart of one of the most picturesque settings in England, this hostel captures the essence of what it means to get away from the daily hustle and bustle, immersing oneself into nature’s tranquillity.
The Historic Setting
The building itself breathes history. Once an opulent mansion known as Barrow House, built in the 18th century, it has since been transformed into this inviting accommodation, retaining many of its original features. Guests will find themselves captivated by the grand fireplaces, intricate ceiling mouldings, and panoramic window views that showcase the majestic Derwentwater Lake and surrounding fells.
From private rooms to shared dormitories, Derwentwater Independent Hostel caters to both the solitary traveller and groups. The rooms, while holding onto their historic charm, have been updated to offer guests modern comforts. Whether you’re looking for a quiet getaway or a fun-filled group adventure, you’ll find the perfect accommodation fit here.
Features & Services
- Eco-Friendly Initiatives: The hostel is passionate about the environment. Initiatives such as recycling, water conservation, and the use of eco-friendly products set them apart.
- Self-Catering Kitchen: Guests can showcase their culinary skills in the well-equipped self-catering kitchen. Or, if you prefer, opt for the delicious meals provided at their in-house café.
- Free Wi-Fi: Even amidst nature, you can stay connected with their reliable Wi-Fi service.
- Common Rooms: These spaces, filled with plush seating and bookshelves, serve as the perfect place to unwind after a day’s excursion.
- Outdoor Activity Information: The staff are well-versed in local activities and trails, offering advice and brochures to those keen on exploring.
The Lake District is a haven for outdoor enthusiasts. From the doorstep of the hostel, several hiking and walking trails await exploration. The nearby lake offers opportunities for kayaking, rowing, and fishing. If you’re lucky, you might even catch a glimpse of the famed Derwentwater ducks!
- Keswick: A short stroll away, this charming town is brimming with quaint shops, cafes, and a weekly market. Don’t miss out on the local produce!
- The Theatre by the Lake: Offering a mix of classic and contemporary productions, this is a must-visit for art and theatre aficionados.
- Castlerigg Stone Circle: Dating back to 3000 BC, this historic monument offers not just a glimpse into ancient times but also panoramic views of the surrounding landscape.
Derwentwater Independent Hostel doesn’t just offer a place to stay; it provides a unique blend of history, nature, and modern comforts, ensuring that guests leave with cherished memories. For those in search of a tranquil retreat or a base from which to explore the wonders of the Lake District, this hostel is a top contender. From its historical architecture to its commitment to the environment and the myriad of services provided, it’s an establishment that leaves a lasting impression.
Address: Derwentwater Independent Hostel, Barrow House, Keswick, Cumbria, CA12 5UR, England
Experience the magic of the Lake District with a stay at the Derwentwater Independent Hostel!